THE CARSON VALLEY
On Nevada’s western border, framed by the Carson Range of the Sierra Nevada and the Pinenut Mountains, the Carson Valley unfolds. Broad and green, nourished by the Carson River and its tributaries, the Valley appeared as an oasis to early western settlers drawn by the California Gold Rush of the 1840’s.
Among those settlers was John Reese, who established the first permanent settlement in Nevada at Genoa in 1851. Today, Genoa appears much as it did in that era. It still resists traffic signals, and visitors to its center will find more than a few examples of nineteenth century architecture within strolling distance. Among those structures, Mormon Station State Park, the Courthouse Museum at Genoa, the Genoa Town Hall and Nevada’s Oldest Thirst Parlor (just call it the “Oldest Bar”).